Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Let Us Arise

"Let us get up then, at long last, for the Scriptures rouse us when they say; It is high time to arise from sleep [Rom. 13:11]." Prologue 8.

It was one of those moments that come and go in an instant. In the length of time that it took to take two pictures with the digital camera the moment was gone and there was no way to call it back or perhaps to ever duplicate it again. Had I not been awake, had I not been attentive to the dawning of a fresh new day, I would have missed out completely on a moment that was seemingly, solely mine - a gift sent especially to me. As it was, I barely had time to open the door, grab the camera, step back onto the front porch, and snap two shots.

St. Benedict's words in verse 8 of the Prologue stir me. They incite me to think. They challenge me to think about how I am so often lethargic, so often dead to the moment in which I am living, so often unaware of how real, present, and mysterious God is. Life so quickly passes us by while we are sleeping and how easy it is to be lulled to conscious sleep by the daily routines and rhythms that are considered by most to be our normal daily duties and activities. In all honesty, we have only this present moment to live. It is the only moment that is real to us. All former moments, though they may be alive in our memory, have passed away and are dead and gone. All future moments are merely a dream and do not yet exist. They may never exist. How, then, are we living in this present moment?

Benedict encourages us, "Let us open our eyes to the light that comes from God, and our ears to the voice from heaven that every day calls out ...." Prologue 9. The Light that comes from God dims every other light. The voice from heaven causes all other voices to be little more than din. Why would I choose to view any other than the light that comes from God? Why would I choose to listen to the cacophony of resounding and discordant noises that beg for my attention?

We view what we desire most. We listen to what we desire most. To see and listen to God requires us to lay aside our own desires that run contrary to his. Ours desires are often the reflection of an imperfect will. His desires are always born of and the reflection of a will that is a perfect.

Let us arise.

David