Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Riding The Wheel

Tuesday of the 7th Week in Ordinary Time. Shrove Tuesday in the year of our Lord 2009. Tomorrow, Ash Wednesday, marks the beginning of Lent, 40 days of reflection and preparation for Holy Week and the grand celebration of the Resurrection of Christ on Easter Sunday.

It’s all beautiful. I appreciate the wisdom of the Church in setting forth these liturgical seasons that give focus. These are seasonal focal points that assist in maintaining a distinct and holistic orientation in the life of Christ, much like a holy wheel of life that is both fixed and constantly revolving around its Axle, a process of continual death and rebirth.

St. Gregory’s commentary on Ecclesiastes 3:1-22[1] could not be more appropriate or on time for such an occasion as Ash Wednesday Eve. Or, for that matter, my own personal point of revolution on the wheel of life.

I am, anymore, simply content to ride the wheel. Most of the time, it doesn’t seem like I’m going anywhere or getting anywhere. The wheel, on its own, generally revolves slowly, except on the calendar. I’m learning to not hurry the wheel. I’m learning to allow it its slow but effective process that may or may not coincide with the 12 month calendar. I may not always see the occurring progress but the process is sure. The process is certain.

At times it seems like I’m stuck in the mud. But when I carefully look at the mud I discover that it too is part of the process. There must be something that I need to learn in the mud, maybe something that I failed to learn the last time I was in the mud. It’s interesting how many times it’s the same mud that bogs me down. I’ll learn the intended lesson one day. Maybe.

Here a little. There a little. Breathing in the Breath of Life. Appreciating life's unfolding nature. Praying and working one day at a time. Enjoying the desert. Continually arriving at a re-beginning. Distinct but incomplete arrivals.

It will be a good Lent.

[1] Liturgy of the Hours, p. 236-237