Thursday, March 5, 2009

Centennial Post

It’s been a year to the day since I began this blog.

I think it a little interesting that today’s post will also make the 100th Oblate Offering post since this little endeavor began. That, to me, is something of a milestone. At least a small one, perhaps a very insignificant one, in the self-published literary world made available by wwwdotwhateverdotcom where anybody with a computer and internet connection can vent, proclaim, ponder, or otherwise blog their thoughts on a zillion topics.

I honestly have no idea how many people take the time to read what I place here. When I started this blog I considered placing a counter on it but decided that such a thing would be counter-productive to a certain “unknowing” nature that I’ve grown to appreciate.

Occasionally what I blog generates a kind comment from someone or another. On one occasion I received a rash of mean and scolding comments from some badly bent fellow that honestly were not worth approving. Honest and objective criticism I can take. Rash and demeaning criticism? Though there is plenty of it being dished out, no human being deserves it. It accomplishes no good at all.

I do know how many times someone has looked at my profile. Good? Bad? Indifferent? I don’t know. I prefer not to attempt drawing any conclusions from such anonymous and narrow statistical data. I respect anonymity. I prefer only to consider that there is at least that number of people seeking something and I can only hope that maybe, just maybe, someone found a morsel that helped them along to wherever they are going.

Me? I’m just a road-weary pilgrim limping along, stopping to enjoy whatever shade I can find, learning to discern the difference between sweet and bitter water, and trying to put into practice the truth as I understand it.

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m an odd fellow, an opinionated person. I’ve been bent by the harsh winds of life. My bark has been peeled more times than I care to think about. I have, time and again, foolishly leaped into the fire and suffered for it. Some of us, more likely most of us, are hard-learning. I am one of most prime examples.

Through it all, unmerited grace has sustained me and my faith continues to develop and grow. It is, more and more, losing its theoretical nature and dressing itself in more practical terms. Faith is for living. What good is something that we talk about if we don’t live it?

God has, and continues to be, very kind to me.

Deo Gratias.